This is the reason Maramures is so special: It still preserves authentic folk crafts,where age-old traditions and genuine skills are part of the local people’s everyday life In Maramures you can still encounter people wearing traditional farmers’ clothes, tilling their land and grazing their sheep on an alpine meadow in the old traditional way; or just “sitting and watching the world go by”; the women stand in front of their houses, chatting and spinning yarn on hand-held spindles.The real life of the locals is not the Arcadian idyll which tourists might perceive. Still, the Maramures people do not feel sorry for themselves. Their dignity is impressive and their sense of humour is contagious. You can become their friend instantly and their local strong plum brandy “horinca” will bond this friendship forever!
- Visit the wooden churches of Desesti, Surdesti and Ieud included in the UNESCO World Heritage List
- Horse and cart ride to visit a traditional sheepfold on Iza valley and craftsmen on the way
- “Tanjaua de pe Mara” Festival celebration - time to learn about customs and music, sing,dance and drink the strong ‘horinca’
- Visit the Museum of the Arrested Thought, a former prison for political prisoners during the communist
- Era and the world-famous Merry Cemetery in the village of Sapanta